Monday, June 15

Peeing Asparagus

So Jan, lauren and I went out for dinner tonight. Then we came back, grabbed Jan's eldest daughter, and then squished into my car to get dessert. We were trying to go this place for cake, but it was closed. Then it was a race to dairy queen, but they locked the door as we pulled in. So off to Sonic we went.

Sonic dessert menus are on the right side which is very awkward to see for everyone in the car -even the person in the front passenger seat. So Lauren opened the front door and leaned over it and read some of the descriptions to Jan, her daughter and me. We eventually decided and were ready to order, and we discovered the cream slushies that they all wanted were only 99 cents!

We returned with our 'desserts' to a funny discussion. Jan came down from the bathroom and wanted to ask all of us science geeks why asparagus made her pee smell funny so quickly (she had asparagus with dinner). I had no idea what she was talking about, but Lauren knew exactly what she was talking about and chimed in. This dissolved us all into giggles and I immediately googled it.

Wikipedia has some extensive information about asparagus and pee. Turns out - asparagus makes everyone's pee smell funny (because of the variety of sulfur compounds), but not everyone can actually smell it. Only 22% of the population can smell asparagus pee.

Well I had to pee. And I had asparagus soup for dinner. More giggles. I peed and then leaned down to take a big whiff. Nope, nothing. Lauren said she was going to come in and smell it, but she was laughing so hard she was crying. It took her a couple of tries, but she did smell it. And it didnt smell - so the verdict is cream of asparagus soup is not strong enough... and we will have to eat some more asparagus soon. :) HAHA.

3 comments:

  1. so the science geeks got stumped. guess you all need "normal" folk to ask the questions so you can seek more knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahahaha...never a dull moment when their are science geeks around! Maybe Lauren can get some of her kids to work on this for the science fair next year. now THAT would be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experienced an evening just like that once too, with various people (all scientists) peeing and smelling... I am among the non-smellers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!