On Saturday, the morning started with biscuits and attempting to make apple cinnamon rolls. The biscuits were perfect, but I had trouble with the roll dough becuase it wouldn't rise. Eventually I played with it enough to get it to sort of work and I kind of gave up on it. I rolled the rolls and Aaron sliced them into perfectly even rolls and they went into the fridge for the next morning. We dropped Mom and Rich off to pick up their motorcycles and we headed up to Shenandoah. The drive was beautiful because of the picturesque settings and pleasant temperatures. We didn't have much time because of a late start and because I had to get back to chaperone homecoming. We did a short 3 mile trail to the top of some peak and an overlook and back. It was really nice to get back on the trail and hike even if it was all up and then all down.
On the way home we stopped at the BBQ place in Gordonsville because we keep meaning to, but somehow have not made it back before 8ish when they close the last couple of times. It was very good and I am looking forward to going there again. We made it back with plenty of time for me to shower and dress up a bit and for Aaron to take a nap on the couch. I worked the table at the door and checked kids in. I like doing this because I get to see them all dressed up and they see me and know that I am there. I did my hour at the table and headed back to see what Aaron had been doing. I'm still not sure, but we finished the evening with SkipBo and nut brown ales.
The next morning was the test for the cinnamon rolls, but they turned out great. After breakfast Aaron and I took the scenic route through Fluvanna and into Nelson, passing some places I want to stop at some other time - like the bagel place and the Key West style coffeehouse (?). I had fun driving the windy roads and Aaron enjoyed figuring out just how to get there (even though I am sure he was tired of me asking a million times what the next turn was because I had forgotten).
Our destination was Crabtree Falls. This is a series of very tall waterfalls with a pretty well maintained trail of steps, rocks, and dirt paths. There are lots of warnings about staying on the trails and not climbing on the rocks because quite a number of folks have died slipping and falling on the rocks. The hike was a little more than 3.5 miles and all uphill and then all downhill, but the waterfalls are very impressive and it was a gorgeous fall day. We both had on long sleeves on, but the temperature was pleasant.We took the winding roads back towards civilization with a very important stop at Devil's Backbone Brewery near Wintergreen. The beers were fabulous (I had a flight of 6 varieties), especially the coffee stout, and the food was just as good. I had an apple-fennel-cabbage cole slaw that I really enjoyed along with some brats. Yum. If hiking, beer and brats aren't fall, I don't know what is.
ha ha...we got our dinner there too! did you get a pumpkin muffin? very good..worth the trip and more! thanks for the ride too!
ReplyDeletedid you stay on the trail like you were warned...!?
ReplyDelete