Sunday, July 19

weekend in Greenville

it takes forever to drive to Greenville. Ok maybe not forever, but longer than the four hour jaunt that was in my head.

Karrie and James have moved into a cute historic district full or pretty houses with nice gardens and nice neighbors - except one set of mean dogs. I know the neighbors are nice because I have met a bunch of them and they were all very friendly. One of the best things to do here is go for a walk and Layla is always ready for a walk so that gives me ample time to gawk at the houses.

Karrie and James live within walking distance of downtown and I have walked there four times. Once with Karrie just to hang out, then later with Karrie and James for dinner and music on the street, then in the morning for the farmer's market. I thought it was four times, maybe it was only three. There is a waterfall and a park downtown that are nice to see as well as all the shops with shady benches on the sidewalks.

Karrie and James are excellent hosts and are taking good care of me - making sure I am well fed and entertained as well as clean and comfy. Karrie and I have run a bunch of random errands, listened to blue grass on the lawn of a nearby university, walked into town a few times, went berry picking (Karrie's favorite sport), walked less than two blocks away for a couple of bands and today a big hike.

Today we hiked Raven Falls. Karrie and James have decided they are going to hike on Sundays with Layla because nothing opens until after two anyway. Last week they started this hike and went to the observation deck, but didnt have enough supplies to do the whole hike. The whole hike is 8.4 miles and the Dismal Trail section is not as strenuous as the Gum Gap Foothills Trail.

With some new hiking books I helped Karrie pick out, we looked at our strategy. This trail included a wire bridge and three ladders - how on earth was Layla going to make it? James and Karrie decided on a route so that even if we would have to turn around they would be satisfied.

We set off in the morning and up the windy curvy highway. A quick stop at the ranger station and the rangers let us know that Layla should make it despite the ladders and be able to cross the stream under the wire. OK and off we went.

The trail was beautiful and heavily wooded. Layla led the way and kept us at a quick pace. The wire bridge was interesting. James and Layla jumped on the rocks in the stream, well James did, Layla jumped wherever she pleased including the water. Karrie and I took the wire bridge which meant sliding your feet along one wire while sliding your hands along a top wire. I didnt like it, but it got me across.

The ladders were not tall ladders. And there were ways around them for Layla, but for some reason once there she didnt want to lead the way and couldnt be coerced to move. James picked her up and lifted her up the area - good thing Layla is mostly skin and bones.

One of the coolest places we stopped was called Cathedral Rock - a huge rock all with water dripping in some places and plants growing along the ledges. We stopped here for a rest and a snack and to take some photos. I think it was a good idea to stop because after that it was less than a mile to the top but it was less than a mile straight up and it wore me out.

We eventually made it to the falls - a suspension bridge over the top of the falls. What I could see was very pretty, but apparently it was only like one sixth of the waterfall - you can see most of the rest of it from the observation point that Karrie and James had visited last week. We stopped on some rocks to eat lunch and laugh and cringe at some older ladies butt cheeks that were hanging out of her skirt as she crossed the bridge above us.

They informed us as we passed them (they came up and were going down the easy way) that there was a five foot rattlesnake they killed on the path through the rhododendrons about a mile away. They killed it by throwing rocks at its head because it wouldn't move off the path so they could get by.

Karrie, James, and I kept an eye out while discussing what we would do if encountering such a snake. I know I would not have killed it. I am not in the snake and spider killing camp - they have important ecological roles. We did find it and it was still dead (we joked about what would happen if it had slithered away), but it was only three feet long.

The rest of the hike passed quickly. It was much wider and with gradual changes in elevation. We passed more people at this point - because it was an easier more traveled path and because church let out. Most of these people were not the skinny hiking type and most did not look well prepared for the five or so miles it would take them to get to the falls.

Now we are home and resting. Tomorrow I am going to have breakfast with Chrissy and head home to pack for Arizona.

1 comment:

  1. yay---go old ladies...for rocking the snake (not for actually killing it...but for not being wuses and letting it ruin their hike) and doing the hiking too!

    good to know that some of karrie's upbringing worked--making you feel at home and stuffed! i cannot wait to make that trip too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!