Whoa. Open house started at 3 I think. People were walking around starting around 2:30. That's when I got my first parent, but it was a teacher from the high school (that taught me, and now I am teaching her son) so I can understand why she was early.
I told my team leader about the friendly competition we did at the high school by trying to guess how many parents they would see. She thought it was a great idea and thought we should do it on the team. Surprisingly, everyone went in on it. Thats 5 dollars of soda and snack maching money on the line.
I was OVER. Over by at least fifteen and I thought I was guessing high. I saw over 75 parents last night (and we count them as a unit for counting purposes unless they are obviously separated). My throat is sore, my feet hurt. It was non-stop from 2:30 to 7 (it was supposed to end at 630). I am obviously not ready to make it through a whole school day on Monday.
I met a lot of nice people. Eighth graders don't look that scary. I hope I said the right things and no one is going to the prinicipal to complain. I got lots of head-nodding from parents as I was talking about some of things that I am going to cover in class like observation skills, root words, vocabulary, and all kinds of science class.
On Monday we are certainly going to work on handshakes and eye contact. Life skills. I don't just teach science. Anyway today is a day full of meetings and determining who won the pool.
25 More Things
12 years ago
that working for a living stuff is for the birds. :D
ReplyDeleteParents have not gotten tired of open houses and conferences in the middle school yet. That was a big difference for me to get used to in the middle school - they still care!
ReplyDeletefunny that you are worried about people reporting you to the principal ... us j girls will always walk a fine line of authority. :)
ReplyDelete