Only Dad has tasted our Holiday Brew because again we really like it, we want to let some of it age more because aging beer is supposed to enhance the flavors even more, he stopped by, and I cannot be taking beer to school to give to my teacher friends! Aaron seems to have the brewing process down because our homebrew is clear and foams nicely (can you comfortably type "has good head" and not laugh?).The Holiday Brew is a darker beer and has great flavor, but not the cinnamon spice flavor we expected. Perhaps a Holiday Brew 2 is on our future as well.
Aaron brewed a cream ale last night, but this kit did not come with crushed grains. When you order the kits, Midwest asks whether you want crushed or uncrushed because it has to do with timing. If it will be a while before your brew, then uncrushed are better and you crush them yourself. When I placed our last order I was unsure of when these kits would get brewed so I ordered one crushed and the other uncrushed.
Aaron went to town with all sorts of banging in the kitchen, but did not feel the grains were crushed enough when the steeped grains produced no color (it should have looked like tea). More crushing and banging. For the second go round Aaron used a hammer and the basement floor and I snuck a photo of him from the top of the steps.
I think there is more cooking in the works for today and soon we will try our hand at making our own ginger ale.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks!