The ranger at first was a little short, but once I demonstrated that I actually knew what I was talking about and asked the right questions, he opened up a bit. He couldn't make a reservation for me, but assured me that there would probably be available campsites when I showed up. He also gave me shortcut directions from Lynchburg and recommended the lodge for a meal and maybe a drink. I printed a few maps so Aaron and I could do some hiking and I spent the rest of Friday afternoon working, sorting, and cleaning up my classroom. Friday night when I got home I packed the tent, the air mattress, and the sleeping bags into the car - joking that I didn't want to forget them. I also found the jet boil and some freeze-dried dinners and tossed those in as well.
Saturday morning was a leisurely wake up. I read two of the twenty papers that have accumulated (we called to complain about our delivery and now we get it everyday... soon to be changed back to intermittent weekend delivery) and then we walked downtown to the Farmer's Market. I purchased the biggest chard leaves I have ever seen and some radishes. It is difficult for Aaron and I to buy more because we never really know when we are going to cook or what, but we try to at least get something. Aaron would have bought steaks, but they only had one left. Maybe next week.
Once we got home, we got ready to leave. For no particular reason I couldn't decide what to wear and annoyed Aaron by asking him what he thought. He was actually helpful and I finally got ready. I packed a bag and asked Aaron if he wanted to cram his clothes in my bag. He declined and packed his own bag. I remember leaving the car open and walking back and forth a few times to put more stuff in it. It's a lot harder to think of all the things you need for camping and hiking when you are far frm home and they haven't been packed for the entire summer. Lastly I put everything food related in the fridge to keep the ants out (a possible future post) and we drove off. Aaron drove because he wanted to try a shortcut through the back side of Orange and so I could read a bit for my class and we arrived at the picnic on time.
It was nice to see Ellen and Keegan and beautiful little Sophie as well as Jamie and her new babe. I can't remember her name, but its pretty, and is similar to a freshwater grass in the pond (Elodea?). Hmmmm. I used my magic touch to put her to sleep so that Jamie could enjoy a quiet comfortable meal with friends. Holding sleeping babies is easy - and no I still don't want one. Chrissy's baby bump is showing and she looks good. She's excited, but daunted at making sub plans. I was the only one there who didn't have kids actually, kind of weird, but most likely a trend that will continue.
Eventually we said our goodbyes, crossed our fingers, and headed south. The drive was pretty and the shortcut the ranger gave me was right on. We arrived at the campground and were able to get a campsite. I hate choosing a campsite. Mmm. Let me rephrase, I obsess over choosing a campsite and it drives Aaron crazy. I want a good one, looking while driving is not ideal, campground loops are often large and one way, and Aaron does not want to appease me by driving round again. When given a choice, I'd rather walk and look. There are considerations - how close to the bathroom (both a pro and a con because of noise of other campers and because the lights), how close to a road, how close to other potentially noisy campers, and other site features. I want to choose a good one so I have the potential to overanalyze. This time our decision was pretty easy - #1 - because it was available and not smooshed up in with all the other sites that appeared to be full of families.
THINGS WE FORGOT (in order of discovery)
1. Aaron's bag
2. Pillows
3. Kim's shoes
4. Coffee cups (though we had coffee and a press)
5. Lantern was dead - no batteries
6. Sugar cubes (in case we had coffee)
7. Aaron's deoderant
| orchard falls in the fading light |
The hike was pretty much straight up the mountain and not a lot of switch backs, but it was shady and pretty. The top was covered in big boulders that were fun to climb around on. Aaron's new passion is "Stag on the Promontory" photos and there were plenty of opportunities.
After the hike down, we peeked into the Nature Center and into the Visitor Center before heading north on the parkway. We stopped at one more trail White something falls and did the loop trail there. It was a beautiful waterfall with many cascading tiers and a nice trails as well. On the way we encountered a trail crew with motorized wheelbarrow with a tank tread nosily coming down the trail.
| aaron at the top of a sideways waterfall |
Hopefully all those things we forgot will ensure that we will remember them when we pack for this summer's road trip to Maine.
We've stayed at Peaks of Otter campground several times and have always enjoyed it. We too are obsessive about finding the right tent sight, but Neil and I will drive the loop twice.
ReplyDeleteyeah, so glad that you guys got to camp after all. It was good seeing you and am looking forward to our stop-over next month. One more "real" day and we're into exams_thank goodness!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a good trip. It's fun to read about your adventures near Peaks of Otter since I did so much hiking there growing up.
ReplyDelete