Sunday, January 5

Little things

Sometimes I feel like there is not a lot that I'm doing or that I can do. Yesterday with some tools from Dad I removed the last of the "geezer" locks from the cabinets. This house was a small old folks home before it was ours so the cabinet under the sinks were locked as were a few in the bathroom. With these locks removed there are now circular holes that sometime we'll fill in with a dowel rod, but at least now the doors close completely. One we couldn't get unlocked in the bathroom, so Aaron and James drilled out the lock and the cabinet was full of expired meds and butt injection medicine I can't remember the name of. I'm giving them to Nurse V at school because I know she'll get a kick out of it.

The first day I was here, many weeks ago waiting for the broad band people, I spent at least an hour unscrewing geezer latches from all the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen and bathrooms (you know the kind people use with toddlers to keep them out of trouble). Most of them had been broken off or were bent so as to not actually catch, but I took the time to remove all remnants. It took forever.

Almost every room and hall closet was also equipped with little latches or locks near the top to keep the doors closed and the people out and the windows in my office had guards screwed in to the windows so they could only be opened three inches! We've removed them all, so today I learned how to smear wood putty in to the holes to fill them. Sounds minor, but as Mom pointed out, as soon as I got that done a lot of post-its would come down, and I did want to know how to do it properly to do it right. After the smelly acetone product dried, I sanded, and took down the post-its. Some day I'll get to painting the trim and you'll never know the geezer guards were there.

In other exciting news the hall bathroom is one step closer to finished (but that's a post for another day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!