Thursday, October 22

McCafe or Starbucks?

Tuesday evening I scored am early evening's doctor's appointment. I do not often go to the doctor (the last time was in 2004) because most of the time I am not that sick and I know I will get over it. I have a dry hacking cough that is not normal for me and kind of annoying and with all the stuff that's going around school, I figured I should go get it checked out. I may have viral bronchitis, but there is nothing that can be done for it except to ride it out. I was prescribed some cough medicine that keeps me awake at night and seems to have no effect.

Anyway. As I was waiting for my prescription to be filled I walked to McDonald's to get a cup of coffee, figuring that coffee was better than no coffee and decided to try the vanilla latte. It was 3.19 and ok. It had a funny aftertaste that was kind of fake (probably the vanilla) and all in all I am not that impressed.

I cringe at the ubiquity of Starbucks and how snobby people get about it, but seriously. I would rather pay a dollar more for better tasting and better quality coffee on top of the fact that Starbucks supports shade-grown coffee, local businesses and farmers and all of that business. No clear-cutting the rainforest for them. I have said more than once that if McDonald's declared it was going to only brew the same kinds of coffees there would be a revolution in the coffee growing sector to try to meet the demand. Look at what McD's does to beef production around the world to meet the demand!

I don't indulge in Starbucks often, and I will stick to my local coffeeshops and to the independent ones when I can, but McD's will be a last resort for me.

2 comments:

  1. aaron and i spread our coffee drinking around, but still always come back to starbucks. the people are NICE and competent and give you what you want. it's not so commercialized that you don't get a real experience. so... carry on kimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that funny after taste...might just be the coffee...not whatever they add for the latte. their coffee isn't good to start with. if you gotta go commercial...go wawa or sheets on the run! IMHO, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!